The Old Church Committee of the Old Burlington Church invites all to their annual service planned for Aug. 12, beginning at 10:30 a.m.
The Old Burlington Church is the oldest existing church in Bradford County. It was built in 1822. It is the third church that has been built on the site, the first being built in 1794.
Many people drive past it everyday and take little notice of it. But a few stop in for a visit. As they walk under the maples and through the cemetery, they may notice the rippled glass in the windows. A few steps up the stones and onto the porch and then they enter through the large doors.
Because the congregation split in 1855, with half going to Burlington and the other half going to West Burlington, the interior has no electrical wiring and no plumbing. The walls of white plaster contrast the wood of the floor, pews and pulpit. The woodwork has a natural finish and the reddish color of the beams and balcony is produced from age. Nothing inside has been painted.
As one looks up at the octagon pulpit, they can imagine the pastor giving his sermon, looking down at the congregation as the congregation in the balcony looks down on him.
The Old Church Committee invites all to come to share in their Aug. 12 service, which starts at 10:30 a.m. The District Superintendent, Rev. Troy Howell, will be the guest speaker and Robert and Diana Brown will provide special music.
There will be a dish to pass picnic after the service.