Have a Farm Animal? 

If so, you must have a manure management plan. If you are asking yourself, “Does this mean me?” Then yes, it probably does. Any animal and any number of animals, one horse or chicken, qualifies. 

The Bradford County Conservation District (BCCD) will hold an informal “open door” day on Thursday, Feb. 6, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. for anyone needing help getting this document in order. They are also available any other time, by appointment.

The Manure Management Manual is a fairly easy and short document that will not only bring you into compliance, possibly save money on your fertilizer bill, and increase yields; but will help cover you in the event of a complaint. The animal’s owner can simply fill out most information. However, you may benefit from the Conservation District’s help with maps and more detailed information. 

This “open door” day will allow anyone to walk in at their convenience and get the help they need without spending any more or less time on it than necessary.  These are your plans and are required to be on your operation. 

Pennsylvania’s Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has been inspecting Bradford County’s animal owners in recent weeks. They will ask you for your plan. You want to be ready if they show up at your place. 

DEP is responsible for enforcing Pennsylvania’s regulations requiring animal owners to implement manure management and erosion control plans. The BCCD is available to help you. You can call or just drop in. They will be glad to help you put the finishing touches on this plan for your farm.  

Contact the Bradford County Conservation District at (570) 485-3105 or email to Kevin.L.Brown@pa.nacdnet.net.  

For more information about the Bradford County Conservation District, visit www.bccdpa.com.

Be the first to comment on "Have a Farm Animal? "

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.